As a partner in your child’s education, the Deer Lakes School District cafeterias are committed to providing our students with wholesome, nutritious and appetizing foods, served in a courteous and professional manner. The food service program is operated under the regulations of the federally funded National School Lunch and Breakfast Program. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) requires that the breakfast and lunch program meet specific nutritional criteria, thus ensuring that your child is provided with the nourishment his or her growing body needs.
In order for you to better understand daily operations in the DLSD cafeterias, please review the following procedures and keep handy in the event that you may have questions:
1. 2017-2018 Prices: Breakfast (All Schools)-$1.35; Lunch-Curtisville & East Union-$2.70, Middle School & High School-$2.95; Milk (a variety of flavored and unflavored milk available at all schools daily)-$.50.
2. A computerized debit system is in place in all schools. Every student has been assigned a PIN, which is their student ID number. Students must enter their PIN regardless if they have cash or are using money on account.
3. Parents may go online at any point during the school year to apply for free or reduced meals for their children at https://www.compass.state.pa.us.
4. Parents may access their child’s cafeteria balance at any time using www.payforit.net. You may go to this website directly or you may access it through www.deerlakes.net. You will not be assigned a username and password; parents may set up an account at their convenience using their child’s account number and full name. Payments may be made 24 hours a day or recurrent payments may also be set up. There is no fee to access your child’s account balance or your child’s account activity. A convenience surcharge will be applied. www.deerlakes.net under the Food Services link.
5. E-check payments are now being accepted on the www.payforit.net site.
6. Any amount of money may be sent in for your child’s cafeteria account. Please return the form at the bottom of this letter if you wish to restrict your child’s access to ala carte items, breakfast and additional purchases. A notation will be placed on your child’s account if you return the slip at the bottom of this letter. Please return this slip in an envelope marked “Lunch Program” to ensure that we receive it and can mark your child’s account accordingly. Students will be allowed to purchase extras unless we receive a note from the parent indicating otherwise.
7. Students may pay cash each day for purchases. Maintaining a balance is encouraged, but not required.
8. Students are expected to have money in their account in anticipation of purchases, unless they are paying with cash. A maximum amount of three meal charges in which the student does not have cash or money on account will be permitted before an alternate meal of peanut butter and jelly will be provided in grades 3-12. Substitutions will be provided for students with special dietary needs.
9. Balances from the previous school year will be available for use on the first day of school. Please remember that any money remaining at the end of the school year will be forwarded to the following school year; refunds will not be issued unless a student is withdrawing from the district. Requests for refunds must be made in writing.
10. Students eligible for free meals do not need to make deposits. However, they are welcome to deposit money for extras. The system is coded to recognize that your child is free or reduced when they punch in their PIN. Therefore, their status is completely confidential.
11. Please make all checks payable to Deer Lakes Cafeteria Fund. Checks returned from the bank are subject to a $25 service fee.
12. On 2-hour delay days, breakfast will be served. Cold Breakfast only will be available at all schools on delay days. Delayed breakfast times are 9:30-9:45 at MS/HS and 10:45-11am at CV/EU. The cafeterias will most likely follow the regularly scheduled lunch menu. Updates will be sent via email.
13. School Lunch Menus and other nutrition news may be accessed from the Deer Lakes website.