The goal of our food service department is to provide nutritious food that is of optimal quality at a reasonable price. The food service program is operated under the regulations of the federally funded National School Lunch and Breakfast Program. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) requires that the breakfast and lunch program meet specific nutritional criteria, thus ensuring that your child is provided with the nourishment his or her growing body needs.
Free or Reduced Meals
Parents are encouraged to apply online for free or reduced meals. Application for the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program can be found on the district website.
During the 2021-2022 school year, Deer Lakes School District will continue to operate under the Summer Seamless Option (S.S.O.) and serve Free Breakfast and Lunches to all K-12 students.
In order for you to better understand daily operations in the DLSD cafeterias, please review the following procedures:
- A computerized debit system is in place in all schools. Every student has been assigned a PIN, which is their student ID number. Students must enter their PIN regardless if they have cash or are using money on account.
- Any amount of money may be sent in for your child's cafeteria account.
- Please contact the Director of Food Services or visit SchoolCafe.com/deerlakes if you wish to restrict your child's access to ala carte items, breakfast and additional purchases. Students will be allowed to purchase extras unless the district receives parental notification.
- Students may pay cash each day for purchases. Maintaining a balance is encouraged, but not required.
- Students are expected to have money in their account in anticipation of purchases, unless they are paying with cash. Substitutions may be provided for students with special dietary needs.
- Balances from the previous school year will be available for use on the first day of school. Please remember that any money remaining at the end of the current school year will be forwarded to the following school year; refunds will not be issued unless a student is withdrawing from the district or is graduating.
- Students eligible for free meals do not need to make deposits. However, they are welcome to deposit money for extras. The system is coded to recognize that your child is free or reduced when they enter their PIN. Therefore, a child's status remains completely confidential.
- Please make all checks payable to Deer Lakes Cafeteria Fund. Checks returned from the bank are subject to a $25 service fee.
- Parents may view a detailed activity report on www.SchoolCafe.com/DeerLakes at any time for their child's account. The report will outline every transaction on your child's account. If you require a report, please contact the Director of Food Services.
- On 2-hour delay days, breakfast will be served. Cold Breakfast only will be available at the MS/HS from 9:30-9:45. The cafeterias will mostly follow the regularly scheduled lunch menu.