Since 2012, Deer Lakes has presented the Distinguished Alumni Award to outstanding alumni of Deer Lakes, East Deer-Frazer and West Deer high schools. This award honors our notable alumni who have been outstanding in their professional accomplishments and have made significant achievements benefiting their local and/or global communities.
Our Distinguished Alumni Award honorees are recognized annually by their peers and the community during a special ceremony held each spring. The award recipients are chosen by the Distinguished Alumni Award selection committee, which is composed of members of the administrative team, school board members, members of the community, past honorees and at least one student representative.
The 2018 Distinguished Alumni Awards will be presented on Friday, April 27.
To identify, recognize, celebrate, and honor those alumni who have distinguished themselves through public service, academic achievement, and professional contributions which serve to enhance the prestige and excellence of the Deer Lakes School District.
Persons nominated as Deer Lakes Distinguished Alumni may be living or deceased and they must have graduated at least ten (10) years prior to the date of the presentation. They also must have graduated from the Deer Lakes, East Deer-Frazer, or West Deer school districts.
Distinguished Alumni will be recognized for outstanding contributions made in their chosen profession and include areas such as:
- Public Service
- Performing Arts
- Fine Arts
Characteristics given primary consideration include:
- Record of Academic Achievement
- Professional and/or Business Achievements
- Professional Contributions
- Community or Civic Involvement
Members of the selection committee will be chosen by the program’s administrator using the following guidelines:
- A panel of at least five (5) judges will be chosen each year.
- Judges will represent the Deer Lakes community and may include current or former members of the district’s staff, school board members, community volunteers, past honorees, and current members of the student body.
- All judges will be volunteers and will be selected by the program’s designated administrator.
- All nominations will be held for a maximum of three (3) years for committee review.
- If the three-year consideration window elapses without the nominee having been selected, nominators are required to re-submit his/her application for consideration to re-start the clock on their candidacy.
- If the nomination is not resubmitted at the conclusion of the three-year consideration period, the nominee’s candidacy will be considered inactive and will therefore not be brought before the selection committee.
- Upon receipt of the nomination form, a member of the selection committee will reach out to the nominees to confirm their acceptance of this nomination and interest in participating in the Distinguished Awards selection process.
- Some of the materials required from nominees at that time will include things like resumes, recommendation letters, copies of newspaper articles, a list of awards, etc. Anything that may help a nominee’s candidacy will be welcomed by the selection committee.
- The selection committee will meet to discuss the candidates in February. Selected candidates will be asked to provide their high school yearbook photo and a recent photo.
- The Distinguished Alumni Awards Dinner and Induction Ceremony will be held in April at Deer Lakes High School.