The role of the professional school nurse is to collaborate with staff, students, parents, and community resources to promote the well-being of children and teens in order to maximize the potential for learning.
- Identify and assess student health concerns which may impact learning and intervene as appropriate
- Develop health plans for students with disabilities and/or health conditions that interfere with learning
- Provide health counseling to students, families, and district staff
- Initiate and follow up on referrals to health care providers
- Train staff providing delegated nursing acts
- Maintain confidential student health records
- Act as a school/community/health care provider liaison
- Collaborate with school staff and community agencies regarding student immunizations.
- Consult and collaborate with student services and other school staff informally and during building consultation team meetings
- Participate in special education evaluations and individual education plan meetings for students who have significant health concerns
- Provide input for the development of school district health policies
- Develop and implement protocols for emergency care, illness/injury intervention, and medication administration
- Serve on district and community committees and coalition related to health and wellness