Current Learning Model
The Deer Lakes School District will be in a "full remote" learning model beginning November 23, 2020 until December 7, 2020.

Updates, announcements, and information related to COVID-19 and our District's response can be found here:

Deer Lakes

School District

Children/Youth Experiencing Homelessness

Homeless Education Information

Dear Parents and Guardians:

In compliance with the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, as reauthorized in 2015 by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), the Deer Lakes School District is attempting to identify all children within the district that may be experiencing homelessness. 

The term homeless children and youth, is defined as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.  This includes individuals:

  • Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship or a similar reason;

  • Living in a motel, hotel, or campground due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations;

  • Living in emergency or transitional shelters;

  • Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, bus or train stations or similar settings;

  • Living in substandard housing (no running water or working utilities, infestations, etc.).

Children who are experiencing homelessness may qualify for free school lunch, school supplies/materials, tutoring, and transportation so they can remain in their school of origin throughout the duration of their homeless episode.

If you believe a child may be experiencing homelessness and qualify for this service, please contact Lindsay McGaughey and Kristen Porter at 724-265-5300 x2642. 

If your living situation changes during the school year, and you and your children become homeless, please be sure to contact the school.  We will work with you so that your child(ren)’s education is disrupted as little as possible.


Lindsay McGaughey

Kristen Porter