Deer Lakes

School District

Transcript Request Procedures for CURRENT students

The college application process can be confusing.  The most difficult step is choosing the right fit colleges where you will apply.  After you have selected your list of colleges, it’s time to work on your applications!   Let’s talk about the different applications you may need to complete.

The Common App was created in 1975 as an undergraduate college admissions application allowing students to complete one application and send multiple copies to any member school of the Common App. Now there are almost 900 schools across the country that accept the Common App. The Common App promotes a holistic application review by requiring several components, including a personal essay, recommendation letters, an extracurricular activities list, optional supplemental questions, standardized test scores, and the high school transcript. The Common App now uses a fully online application format that allows students to edit their application before submitting it to multiple colleges. 
The Universal Application was created in 2007 and is similar to the Common App but only has 9 current participating colleges. Same as the Common App, students only need to fill out this application one time and then the same application can be submitted to all participating colleges on the student's list. Many colleges that accept the Universal App will also accept the Common App.
Some colleges still offer a separate application that only applies to their institution. Most colleges who offer their own application will also accept the Common Application. These colleges typically do not have a preference which application a student chooses to submit, though we recommend contacting each college individually to ask if the admissions office has a preference of application type. If no preference, then the Common App would be just fine.
The Coalition Application is a new application created to begin use in fall 2016 as a centralized "toolkit" platform that allows students to build and organize a portfolio of their work across all four years of high school. The philosophy behind the creation of this application is to allow students to start thinking about their college process early on and to help students who may not have access to college guidance by removing some of the obstacles these students can face. There are currently 90 member institutions that accept the Coalition Application. This is the only application that requires member institutions to meet a set of characteristic in order to join. All member institutions must have a graduation rate of 70% or more in six years, and they must offer need-based financial aid.
Some state school systems share a general application that can be submitted to all colleges in the state system. An example of this is the State University of New York (SUNY) system of universities. The SUNY Application allows students to apply to multiple SUNY schools with one application. However, SUNY schools also accept the Common App. If a student is only applying to SUNY schools, the SUNY Application would be a suitable choice. If a student is applying to SUNY schools as well as schools outside of the SUNY system, then the Common App would be a better choice.
Some colleges may accept all of these forms of applications and some schools may only accept one form. However, the Common Application is generally the best choice, as this application is most widely used across the country. If you are applying to a college with multiple application choices, it is best to contact that school and find out if they have a preference. If there is no preference, you can feel confident using the Common App.



Hopefully you have had an opportunity to visit with some colleges/universities and are narrowing down your choices.  If you have not had an opportunity to visit schools, you can also check out their websites for information and applications.  Most colleges/universities encourage you to apply online, although you can do paper copies if you choose.  Once you have completed your application(s), your high school will need to send your transcript, which will include your SAT, ACT and AP score(s), if applicable, as well as your courses and grades 9th thru 12th grades.  
Please always follow these procedures:

Forms can be dropped off to Mrs. Gacci in the School Counseling Office or e-mailed to her at [email protected].

  • When applying to colleges/universities, please check for a Counselor Form.  This must be given to your School Counselor to fill out and submit.

  • It is your responsibility to get recommendation letters.  Please turn a copy of these in to Mrs. Gacci in the School Counseling Office as soon as possible.  Each student has a senior folder in the School Counseling office and a copy of these letters, as well as acceptance letters, will be kept in your folder.  Please give the teacher(s) and/or School Counselor time to process your letter.

  • Once the School Counseling Office receives your Transcript Request/Release form(s) and information, your transcript will be sent, as well as any other required information, according to whichever Transcript Request/Release form you completed.   If mailed, we also include a post card that the admissions office returns to us with a date/signature verifying that they have received your transcript.

  • During the busy application season, you may get a text, letter or e-mail from the college/university you applied to stating that they have not received your transcript.  They routinely send out these generic letters.  Please be patient for them to process your transcript.  They likely have thousands to go through & process.

  • NOTE:    Never send a deposit to more than one college/university!!   Deposits are usually not refundable!

  • The most exciting part of this procedure is receiving your acceptance letter.  Please either bring a copy of this to Mrs. Gacci in the School Counseling Office or e-mail it to her at [email protected] as soon as possible so that she file a copy in your senior folder & put this exciting news on the announcements.

  • If you have applied to and have been accepted to more than one college/univ/tech/trade school, please be sure to let Mrs. Gacci know which school you decide to attend and have committed to and send her your confirmation of enrollment, which would come from the college/univ./tech/trade school after you have paid your deposit & are officially enrolled there.

If you have any questions on any of these procedures, please stop in the School Counseling Office or send an e-mail:

Mrs. Pascucci,  School Counselor  A - L
[email protected] 

TBD,  School Counselor  M - Z

Mrs. Gacci,  School Counseling Secretary