An internship is a great way to get experience in a career field of your choice. Typically, internships are unpaid and offered for the purpose of resume building and experience. Below are some internships in and around the Pittsburgh area:
- Phipps Conservatory - Learning For a Greener Future PAID Internship
- Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is pleased to offer a six week PAID internship for highly motivated high school students. As part of this program, participants with a strong interest in investigating the natural world gain knowledge in the areas of plant science, environmental education and communication, sustainability, vegetable gardening, and green careers. Application period opens March 31 thru May 29. For more information and how to apply, visit https://www.phipps.conservatory.org/classes-and-programs/for-educators/high-school-internships..
- Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium – Gain meaningful experience and basic knowledge in your primary area of study by gathering a broader view of a modern zoological park via practical hands-on experience, assisting the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium’s professional staff with daily operations and completing an optional research project! Ideal for students and graduates looking to develop basis abilities, further refine advanced skills and enhance their career goals. There are 4 internship programs available: Kid’s Kingdom Animal Husbandry, Aquarium, Water’s Edge and Conservation Education. All internships are UNPAID. There are three internship periods:
- Spring (January-April) – Applications must be received by November 15th
- Summer (May-August) – Applications must be received by March 15th
- Fall (September-December) – Applications must be received by July 15th
Most internships require you to be 18 years old and pursing a degree in a natural science.
Magee-Women’s Research Institute (MWRI): PAID (minimum wage)
High School Summer Internship Program provides students with the opportunity to participate virtually in basic, translational or clinical scientific research with the goal of interesting students in biomedical research as a potential career. Visit website https://mageewomens.org/for-researchers/education/high-school-summer-internship-program
for more information & to apply. Application period opens in December, 2023!
- Carnegie Museum of Art - Intern at the Museum. PAID ($10.00/hr.) plus a free Teen Membership to the Museum! The August Wilson High School Internship was created in the legacy of Pittsburgh playwright August Wilson, providing pathways and opportunities for young people of color in the arts. Spend your summer in an experiential internship with a deep dive into the museum field. Your summer will be full of art and learning while working alongside museum staff in a variety of roles. https://carnegieart.org/events/youth-creativity/#august-wilson-internship
Expand your horizons, meet interesting people, and surround yourself with some of civilization’s greatest achievements. Whether you work with the public or behind the scenes, volunteering or interning with one of the four Carnegie Museums offers the opportunity to share your passion, gain work experience in a creative environment, support the community, explore your potential, learn something new, and make new friends. All volunteers and interns enjoy free admission to all four museums; a subscription to CARNEGIE magazine; discounts on parking, classes, food services and gift shops; networking, recognition, enrichment and social opportunities; and education sessions and training. https://carnegiemuseums.org/opportunities/volunteer/
- Pittsburgh Aviary - Seasonal remote internships are available in a variety of departments. Interns at the National Aviary can develop marketable skills, make important connections, and learn firsthand about the rewarding career opportunities available in zoos. Accepting winter applications through November 20, 2023. Internships run from January 8, 2024 – April 26, 2024; with orientation on January 6, 2024 https://www.aviary.org/about-us/jobs/internships/
- Penn State Univ - The Readiness Institute Summer Program - This is a six-week PAID ($2,000) experience for rising high school seniors (meaning current high school juniors this school year) that helps them become community and future ready. Participants will have the opportunity to establish relationships and rituals, participate in essential skill workshops, complete projects that address real-world problems, and create personalized road maps for future success. After the program concludes, participants will have continued access to support including mentorship, additional learning experiences, and peer networking. Application period opens in January, 2024.
- UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Academy Internship for High School Students - An immersive, full-time seven-week mentored authentic research internship and career preparation program for high school students. Eight unique research sites in biology, medicine and computer science. Program is FREE, and underrepresented demographics in biomedicine will be paid $2,400. Tentative date of internship program: 6/7/24 - 8/2/24. Applicants must be at least 15 years of age or older at the start of the program, June 17, 2024. however, some sites require student to be at least 16 years of age or older. Applications will be accepted from all high school students, but preference will be given to rising Juniors and Seniors. Applicants must be in good academic standing. Application period opens in December, 2023. Deadline to apply is 2/11/24. https://hillmanacademy.upmc.com/apply-now/